Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Some thoughts

Sometimes being yourself is hard if yourself, is not within 1 standard deviation of normal... Actually there is no such thing as normal.  If there is even a bell curve, it's distribution is most likely multi-modal, not to mention multivariate.  The idea is though, that it's easier for people who are close to those medians to be themselves.  Just like it's easier for someone with a normal looking face to go into public than someone with a deformed looking face.  It just makes sense.  There's less to criticize.

So being yourself for different people can take different levels of courage I think.  Which is sometimes why it seems easier to try to blend in.  But there's always that secret fear that if they knew who/what you were like on the inside, then they wouldn't want to hang out with you anymore.  So it's easier, but in some ways, it's not, because you're never at ease.

What does this have to do with anything?  It doesn't really.  They are mostly some brain rambles.  Leftovers of thoughts from events that have impacted me recently.  Recently, a question was brought up about whether or not killing Osama Bin Laden was a Christian thing to do.  The group decided that it was not.  But it made me think how in various different groups people might come to entirely different conclusions.  There's no such thing as a Christian stance on something.  Sure, there is a conservative stance, a conservative Christian stance, a liberal stance, a progressive Christian stance, and many other stances.  And most likely people who have these stances hang out mostly with other people who share their views.  Again, people tend to feel more comfortable around other people like themselves.  But if the price of fitting in is adherence to a idea or creed, I don't think anyone is truly at ease.  

What I mean to say is, I think the best kind of organizations are the ones in which people share different opinions.  And on any one topic there is no one correct answer.  Life is, and always will be complicated.  It shouldn't be about being right, but merely thinking.  Having a view and defending it should be just as valuable as getting an A.  Which is why I feel so often like I'm failing at school as I'm rushing to turn in something that I know is the right answer, but the only reason I know it's the right answer is because I went to office hours and had it explained to me, not because that's the solution I came up with using my own logic and thought process.  

That's my two cents for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment