Wednesday, April 21, 2010

words words words

Today's small group discussion made me think about how ineffective words are at communicating... If there is a heaven, I believe that place would not have language, because it is so imperfect. Sometimes, there are just no words to describe how I feel, and when there are, I'm too preoccupied with feeling to come up with them.

I imagine heaven being a place where we are all a bit Vulcan, and can place our hands on someone else's face and transfer our thoughts and feelings onto that person without having to say a word. That person could then understand wholly, and be able to empathize in the most genuine, non-fake way, having experienced a small bit of what the sender experienced.

I notice that I'm especially bad at reading animals. Because sadly, even though words are evil, the lack of them is somehow worse... Sometimes I just want to yell "What do you want?!!! Just tell me what you want!!!", when I get repeatedly bit by a cat, or when it will not stop meowing. I know it is trying to tell me something (food, bathroom, attention/non-attention... something...) but I can't tell what, and if I have eliminated the food and bathroom and given it attention, and it's still meowing, I start to get very frustrated.... This is why I am not an animal person. Other people will tell me, yeah when said cat arches it's back and curls it's tail and gets a certain look in it's face it is feeling ____ emotion, and I just look at them in amazement like they can read minds or something. Like how they hell did you just figure that out? Because I assure you, I only heard it meow and look like a cat. :(

More on this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment